Eka – The Communicators’ Collective
Eka is a Non-Profit Trust (86/444-445) registered under the Madhya Pradesh Public Trusts Act, 1951. Eka works in Central Indian States on issues related to Child Rights (Especially, Child Participation, Protection, Health & Nutrition, Governance), Gender, Youth Engagement, Adolescent Girls & Life Skills and Women’s Empowerment.
Our Community Development Initiative is based in 12 most marginalized urban slum communities of Bhopal. We work intensively with communities and duty-bearers at various levels, often engaging them in inter-faces for dialogue and pooling of energies for collective community action on local issues. Programmes Include:
- Parwaaz – Community Based Legal Aid Cell
- Shakti – Youth Engagement Program
- Hunar – Skills Training and Production Unit
- Baccha Rasoi – A Community Kitchen for most marginalized children in Aishbagh
- Study Centre – Learning Unit for Adolescents
- Mazdoor Sahyog Kendra – Centre for support to Daily Wage Earners
Our Communication Initiative has a focus on Design & Development of Communication Resources, Process Documentation, Participatory Theatre, Capacity Building and Video Documentation. We have a skilled team of facilitators, designers, artists, field workers and writers who have 15 plus years of experience, across various sectors including Gender, Child Rights, Governance, Decentralization, Panchayati Raj, Communication, Design & Development.
The Consultancy Wing of Eka offers Media & Development Communication support to organizations, groups and networks including capacity building around social media. The Consulting Wing is held together by a team of consultants with expertise in documentation, training, participatory theatre, design & development including campaign design.
Some of our key work includes:
- Samvidhan Live: A documentation initiative chronicling People’s Movements in Indian, in various formats, including a Web Portal – www.samvidhanlive.com
- Design & Development of the Hunar Arts & Crafts website. www.hunareka.com Hunar is a women’s initiative led by women survivors of violence in old city, Bhopal.
- Azaad Bol: A 5-week Certificate Course in Community Media & Journalism with a focus on building ground narratives. Course was offered by Eka in Bhopal district.
- Study: Hello Saheli Helpline: Conducting a field study in 15 urban slums to understand the need and scope of a helpline to offer medical and counseling advice around reproductive health for women.
- Girls in Urban Spaces – A Facilitators’ Notebook developed by Eka, Bhopal
- Mazdoor Sahyog Kendra: A voluntary initiative of the Jan Sampark Samuh, Bhopal in which Eka was an active member providing Media & Communication support along with running and handling community kitchens management across old city. The MSK provided support to migrant workers and other daily wage earners including food, medical aid, counseling support and travel support.
- Design & Development of a Resource Kit including manuals and handbooks for village volunteers, facilitator, duty bearers and children themselves around the concept of “Child Friendly Panchayats”, for UNICEF Maharashtra
- Khwab Chunne Ki Khwaish – 19 mins/Hindi: For Shaheen, Hyderabad supported by Oxfam. Awarded the C Saratchandra Fellowship Award at the 9th VIBGYOR International Film Festival, 2014 at Kerala. The film juxtaposes the dreams & aspirations of young Muslim girls with their realities of a marginalized existence in the old city of Hyderabad, India.
- Creating a Safe Enviornment for Children in Urban Bhopal: a multi-year direct community initiative around Child Protection in Urban Bhopal supported by UNICEF Bhopal.
- Listening to the Communicators – Mapping of Learning & Communication Trends in the ICDS, for ICDS Directorate and UNICEF MP
- Transformation – Tapping the Human Potential to Save Lives , UNICEF Rajasthan, a process documentation of the Onsite Mentoring Process by UNICEF and Health Department
- Documentation of the E—ASHA initiative in Rajasthan for UNICEF Rajasthan and GoR
- Shakti – Direct Community Initiative with Adolescents in Urban Slums of Bhopal including developing modules on Life Skills, conducting sessions and engaging in collective community action
- Training of Frontline ICDS Workers (AWW and Helpers) on Gender, Rights, Communication and Gender based discrimination and Violence.
Eka has its head office in Bhopal with extension activities in different districts in Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Jharkhand. The local core team is based in Bhopal, MP.
Email: [email protected]
Seema Kurup (9425 014874)
Sachin Shrivastava (7869128784)
Sajana Jayaraj (8129511887)